1. What is whiteness? Referencing Buck’s article, describe how “whiteness” was created and for what purpose. (You might also want to take a look at the article that follows Bucks on how Jews became “white”).
2. Define white privilege and then review Peggy McIntosh’s list of ways in which white privilege manifests. Choose 3 of those and identify data or material in this class that we have covered that references the disparities to which McIntosh refers.
3. What was your reaction to McIntosh’s article? By asking this, I am encouraging you to be honestly self-reflective about your reaction. Please be specific and detailed in your response. For example, “I was surprised” is too general. Say what specifically you were surprised at in this case, and the feeling that accompanied that surprise.
4. Explain white fragility and if you are able, give at least one example of your experience of white fragility. (This doesn’t necessarily have to be you personally, but rather give an example of a time you observed white fragility).
5. Comment on at least one other post. Do so in a substantive way, meaning analytically addressing the person’s post. It is useful to avoid “I completely agree with you.” Your comment should add new material to the discussion, not just repeat the argument the original post made.