) State your chosen topic. Then discuss the following questions in one paragraph (200 words minimum):
Describe the topic you have chosen.
Why did you pick this topic? What is the pressing need to write about it?
Is there enough controversy or nuance that you can easily take one clear position on the topic?
Is the topic deep enough to write 15 pages about?
Is the topic being written about in recent, credible, academic sources?
How is the topic interesting and/or relevant to the average Parkland College student?
2) Find a news article from a recent, credible online news source (see list below) that discusses your chosen topic.
The article must have been published since December of 2019. *Please note that ONLY this article will have to be this recent. You will be allowed to use older research for future assignments
You must choose an article from one of the following sources.
The New York Times
The Wall Street Journal
Any other major news source, approved by me
Once you have found your article,
Post a link to it. State the author’s name (if available), the name of the news source, and the date of publication.
The Research Project
The overall project for ENG 102 is based on building professional research skills, including finding, evaluating, and properly using primary and secondary sources to support your own argumentative position in a paper and correctly using MLA style for documentation.
For this assignment, you must choose a focused topic about a current controversy or issue on which you can take a strong argumentative position (either positive or negative) either 1) in your home country , or 2) in your field of study. You must get approval from me about your final topic choice.
Research Paper Assignment Goals
1) The main goal of this paper is to create a convincing argument about your position. The paper must be argumentative, not informational. The argument should be your own, original position, supported by secondary sources (other people’s research).
2) Paper must reach a minimum of 15 full pages; this does not include the Works Cited page. You may use up to three visual elements (picture, chart, graph, etc.), but each may not exceed 1/2 page in size, and they must be properly cited and listed in the Works Cited.
3) Paper must be properly formatted in MLA style.
4) Paper must use at least 15 credible, academic sources.
5) A clear argumentative thesis that follows the guidelines must be clearly stated and underlined or bolded in both the introduction and the conclusion.
6) Paper should be organized around three clear argumentative points (listed in thesis) that are each developed in their own section in the paper (about 3-4 pages each using as many sources as needed to be convincing) with a clear argument and focus for each section.
7) Again, the overall paper must present a convincing argument about your position on the topic! You may use as many pages and as many sources above the minimum requirements as it takes to do this, as long as you follow the guidelines above.
We will be spending the rest of the semester working on this; smaller assignments will be due week to week, but the final paper will not be due until the end of the semester.